Our solid copper headpiece for shirodhara is a beautiful addition to your shirodhara practice, providing ease of use for the therapist, and a uniform look for the customer. Place the tray underneath the head, place a folded washcloth or other towel beneath the tray to elevate slightly, and you are ready to go!
Instructions for using the Copper Headpiece
First, attach the tubing onto the tray using the brass connector. If the client has long hair, tie it in a bun (or short ponytail if not long enough to make a bun) at the crown of the head.
There are two options for use:
Option 1~ place the headpiece on your massage table's face cradle with the drainage tube hanging in the middle of the cradle. Adjust the tube so that it is dispensing into your catch pot. If you find that the headpiece is not tilting for proper drainage, you may rotate the face cradle's cushion so that the opening is at the top of the head, rather than near the neck.
Option 2~Place the headpiece on the massage table so that the drainage tube is hanging off the top end of the table. Adjust the drainage tube so that it will dispense into your catch pot. To prop the headpiece so that it will drain properly, use a hand towel, and fold according to the following directions*:
1. Fold the hand towel in thirds lengthwise, so you are left with a long thin strip.
2. Now fold one quarter of the strip up and fold over another one quarter, so half of the towel is folded and half is not
3. Tuck the folded portion under the bottom of the tray, near where the neck would be to create a slight downward slope toward the drainage hole in the headpiece.
4. Use the remainder of the towel to fold over the lip on the tray. This will cushion the clients neck and create a soft comfortable place for them to lie.
5. Have the client rest their head on the tray, keeping any stray hairs inside the rim, making sure to keep the drainage hole uncovered.
*Note: if your hand towels are larger than average, you may have to use something smaller (like a kitchen towel or wash cloth), or use a folding method more suitable to your towels. Practice different ways before using with a client.